Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fall Working

As the fall semester starts, I feel time slipping through my fingers like that women's hand slipping from Stallone's in Cliffhanger. However, knowing that I am not hovering over a ravine strapped with nothing but a harness is a little relief. To catch up from the last blog, the rest of my summer went off without a hitch, even though not having a job to supplement freedom (through the trade of time for money), I made the best of the situation. With my trusty camera I filmed most of the city, walking through San Francisco's neighborhoods, from the thin streets of North Beach to the sprawling ocean views of the Sutro District. These long walks gave me a greater appreciation for just how beautiful San Francisco is and how jobs can interfere with finding that self-explorer in everyone. Not working gave me a chance that I never had before, last full summer off was eighteen years ago when I was twelve, to take my time and really enjoy the cold mornings by the beach watching the surfers start their days or the hot afternoons in Dolo Park when DJ's come out dueling for space and sound.
Now that the fall semester is upon me, starting my second year, I have found employment in the Creative Writing Department Office, got my books and classes in order, volunteering with VelRo a SFSU student lead reading series, and I find myself busy and excited for the busyness. Being jobless was not a venture for the weak, I had a lot of sitting around time, so filling that space while tiresome is allowing me to prepare myself for the greater time consumption of the working world.

No comments:

Post a Comment